Emanuel Anastasakis

January 26, 1933

Emanuel Anastasakis
Birth: unknown
Death: Jan 1933
Toowong Cemetery
Brisbane, Brisbane City, Queensland, Australia
The death of Emanuel Anastasakis, otherwise Kefalas, single, 50, boot repairer, who collapsed in Charlotte-street, near the Stadium, and whose dead body was found at 11.50 p.m. on January 26 last, was the subject of an inquest by the City Coroner, Mr. V. Harris, P.M., yesterday.
CONSTABLE T. G. LONG examined the witnesses Walter John Young, of Main-street, Kangaroo Point, stated that on the night of January 26, when returning home from a dance at the Caledonian Hall, he walked down Charlotte-street near Albert-street he noticed a man lying on the footpath. There was blood on his face and on the footpath near his mouth. Witness paused to see if there was any movement from the man, but as the man did not move he called out to a man walking along Albert-street.  I saw a man lying on the footpath, and I am not sure whether he Is dead or alive or drunk. “Come over,” The pedestrian came over and felt the man’s hand and said, “He’s stone dead.”The man left, and three more men came up, and one said, “It’s old — mentioning a name which the witness could not catch. One of the men pushed his leg over and the other two seemed to go through his pockets.Witness then went for the police. When witness returned with a constable the man was In a sitting position against the wall. Hishat had also been put on. One of the pockets was turned inside out.
“Man With Big Head.”
George Farros, of Douglas street, Milton, said he knew deceased, who had been nicknamed by the Greeks as “Kefalas,” which means a man with a big head in Greek. Deceased was very much addicted to the excessive drinking of intoxicating liquor, especially rum. He attempted to commit suicide by cutting his throat with a razor about seven years ago In New South Wales. Deceased latertold witness that the wound in his throat was causing him trouble and was affecting his breathing and speech, and caused palpitation of the heart Witness advised him to consult a doctor, ‘but he replied:”It’s no good, the Dr. will order me to abstain from drink, a thing I can’t do.”
“Will Go Out Like Match.”
Witness told him that he was very foolish, and he replied: “Some of these days, I will goout like a match.”
On the Monday preceding his death, Amastasakls sent for witness, and said: “Last night I had a very badattack, I thought It was the end of me.”
“Will Welcome Death.”
Witness said: “Let us got the doctor.” but he replied: “I don’t want to; I will welcome death better than anything else.”
On the morning of the day of his death, witness went to see Anastasakis at his place of business in Albert street, and he looked very pale. Witness said: “You don’t look well at all,”and ho replied: “I don’t feel well.” “I want you to come with me to the hospital,” said witness, and he agreed to meet witness at 9 a.m. tho following day, to go to tho hospital, “but, of course,” said witness, “in the mean
time he passed away.”
“From Hand To Mouth.”
A few days before Anastasakis died, witness asked him If he had any bank account, or any life Insurance, and he said. “No, I live from hand to mouth, but whatever happens to me don’t let the Government bury me, let the community bury me.”
“By that,” said witness, “he meant the Greek community.” “I know that doccnsed was not looking too well when he left the Greek Club on tho  night of his death,” said witness, “and I am of the opinion that after leaving the club deceased was seised with a heart attack and expired.”
What Policeman Found.
Constable  J. S. Baker stated that with the witness Young he went to where the man’s body was In Charlotte Street. There were abrasions to the left eye, on the bridge of the nose and a bruise on the left side of the mouth.  There was also blood on the man’s face.
Dr. Carvosso arrived shortly after, and after examining the man said:.”In my opinion I think that death was due to natural cause, and the man had been dead after an hour. The body was taken to the morgue, and on January 27 Dr. Duhig made a post-mortem examination, and Issued a certificate showing that death wasdue to (1) coronary atheroma- (2) coronary occlusion: (3) heart failure,
Tho only property found In the man’s pockets were a pair of gold, rimmed spectacles, a handkerchief, and a door key.
Plain clothes
Constable J. Nichol said he noticed the trouser pockets of the man’s clothing had been turned outbut was unable to locate the three
men who were said to have been seen to go through the man’s pockets. He was satisfied tlat when they went through the man’s pockets It was a considerable time after death had occurred, and had nothing to do withhis death. Witness failed to obtain any
evidence that the body was robbed or that the man had any money or valuables on him when he died.

The Inquest was closed.

  • source:  Daily Standard |  Fri 10 Feb 1933  | Page 2  | STORY OF BOOT REPAIRER’S DEATH TOLD TO CORONER
DEATH FROM HEART FAILURE. A post mortem examination by the Government Pathologist (Dr. J. V. Duhig) yesterday established that the Greek bootmaker, who was found deadoutside the Stadium on Thursdaynight, with blood and bruises on his face, which suggested murder, died from heart failure. The abrasions were caused by the fall following his collapse.
The man was known as Kefalas, a nickname bestowed upon him by the Greek community, but his real name was Emanuel Anastasakis.
The suggestion that he was robbed by three men who arrived after the body had been discovered was discounted yesterday at the Hellenic Club, of which he was a popular and respected member. It was stated that when he left the club, about half an hour before his body was found, he had no money in his possession.
The dead man was known to have suffered from heart trouble for some time. He was believed to have been between 50 and 60 years of age. He had been a resident of Brisbane for 25 years, and was well-known amongst the Greek community of Brisbane.
The body was interred at Toowong Cemetery yesterday, the funeral being attended by a large number of members of the Hellenic Club. The service was conducted at the Greek Orthodox Church of St. George by Father Kotiadis.
Deceased, it is stated, was in poor circumstances, and was unmarried. Senior Sergeant J. Henderson, officer in charge of the plain clothes policeat Roma Street, and members of the Hellenic Club yesterday stated that they were satisfied that Anastasakis had died from natural causes.
  • The Brisbane Courier | Sat 28 Jan 1933  | Page 14  | GREEK BOOTMAKER.