August 30, 1951 - July 16, 2013
Burial Date July 23, 2013
Church St Spyridon
Founding principal of St Spyridon College, Mary Hamer, passed away on Tuesday, age 61.Ms Hamer battled cancer for seven years and worked as principal of the junior school until a couple of weeks ago.Father Steven Scoutas, parish priest of St Spyridon Church said the school community and worshipping community was grieving the loss of a unique teacher and educator.“She was very courageous, a very brave lady,” he said.“She was a dynamic leader in education. A very resilient principal, with great integrity and an exclusive love for children.” Fr Steven was part of the interviewing panel which employed Ms Hamer as principal, in 1982. Ms Hamer was honoured with a plaque and the naming of The Mary Hamer Quadrangle September last year for her work over the past 30 years. She was responsible for establishing the first Greek Orthodox day school in NSW. (Originally published Principal Mary Hamer has passed away)
“ST SPYRIDON” Greek Orthodox Parish of South-East Sydney invites its parishioners and members, together with our Reverend Clergy, the Parish Board of Directors, the Parish Executive Officer and the Parish Administration, the Head of College, the Teachers and Students of St Spyridon College, the Parents and Friends’ Association, the Philoptochos Ladies’ Auxilliary, the Church Committee, and the members of the other 20 auxiliaries, to attend the Funeral of our dearly loved late Member and Founding Principal of St Spyridon College, MARY HAMER, to be held at St Spyridon Church, 72-76 Gardeners Road, Kingsford, Sydney, at 9.30 a.m, Tuesday, July 23, 2013.
The Parish Board of Directors, at an Extraordinary Meeting, as a sign of respect, has decided the following:
- that the deepest condolences of St Spyridon Parish and College be expressed both privately as well as publicly to the family,
- that the flags of St Spyridon Church and College be flown at half-mast on the day of the Funeral,
- that the Parish Board of Directors attend the Funeral Service,
- and that the wreaths be laid in memory of our esteemed Founding Principal and Co-Worker by the various bodies of our Parish and College.
- that the College close for the day in order for Students, Teachers and Parents to attend the Funeral.